Insurance Policy – Sec 10(10D)
As per Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act, 1961, any sum received under a Life Insurance Policy, including the sum allocated by way of bonus on such policy is exempt from tax. However, this rule does not apply to following amounts:
- sum received under Section 80DD(3), or
- any sum received under a Keyman Insurance Policy, or
- any sum received other than as death benefit under an insurance policy which has been issued on or after April 1, 2003 and if the premium paid in any of the years during the term of the policy is more than 20% of the Actual Capital Sum Assured.
- Under the Finance Act 2012 the exemption under Sec 10 (10D), on benefits you receive under life insurance policies issued on or after 1st April, 2012, shall be available only if the premium payable in any of the years is not more than 10% of the Sum Insured.
- However, the death benefit under your plan is always tax-free under sec 10(10D).